 |
| Josef Albers would be proud. |
Choosing colors for the stucco is turning out to be one of the most difficult tasks we've had to face in building. It is such a final decision and a one foot square color sample is far different from an entire house. We've spent hours driving around Laramie trying to match colors against a small sample sheet. Dan suggests a cool color to contrast the warm orange of the roof. The lower left square is what we're leaning toward, it somewhat matches the color of new growth on sagebrush.
 |
| Lower left sample panel matches new growth on sagebrush. |
They all look so different in different light. After looking at the white Tyvek wrapped house for a few weeks now we know that white is not a good choice.
 |
| Took these pictures near sunrise this morning. |
|
On my monitor, the top two photos are very faithful to the colors I recall, but I tuned them on this monitor so I have no idea how they look on yours.
I am quite agog with all of this. It is so interesting to see the building techniques being used. Your chaps seem to be quite spectacularly tidy. I have poignant recollections of the Wood being ankle deep in water at one stage, simply dripping in the rain.
ReplyDeleteWe are trying to decide what sort of metal roof to put on our shed (important West Highland feature). Corten steel would be good but a bit of overkill, I feel.
Have you read "A Place of My Own" by Michael Pollan? A slightly irritating book: but with an interesting discussion of recent American (and to a lesser extent European) architectural theory in the last century.
The roofing material we used is a 22 gauge 7/8" corrugated "weathering" steel. Not made by US Steel (who have a patent on Cor-Ten) but made with a similar composition to CorTen to initially rust and then hold a patina.
ReplyDeleteI do not know that title by Pollan - I'll take a look. He is best known for his book The Omnivore's Dilemma which is very good (but also, slightly irritating.)